Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Our new home...for now.

My grandparents were gracious enough to let us stay at their house while we wait for the lengthy process to move into the Artist Co-op. We are staying in the "girls room" as it is the room where my two aunts lived. The "girls' room" is really nice - white, open, sunny, has two good sized closets (that I loved going through as a girl, lots of fun vintage clothing and old photo albums and yearbooks) and a queen sized bed that is like sleeping on a cloud. The "boys room" where my dad and uncle grew up in has two twin beds and doesn't get a lot of sun and has a really tiny closet.

It's small, but it's enough room for everything we need. And it's home...for now.

A few things to notice:
1. The quilt my grandma made on the bed. She has made at least 1 quilt for every one of the 9 grandchildren and for the 4 couples. When I told her I wanted to learn how to sew she said "why bother?!". 
2. The octopus our friend Katie (who just married our friend Big Bruce - they met in Duluth!) knitted when she lived in Duluth 8 years ago.  When we told her we were moving to Duluth she insisted that he come back to his homeland.
3. The ceiling fan. Bliss. We won't have one where we are going, so we're enjoying it while it lasts.
4. The book on my nightstand: "War Dances" by Sherman Alexie. It is a book of short stories which is all my attention span can concentrate on in the chaos of moving, finding a new job, getting into our new apartment, etc. I actually own it, but it is in a box somewhere so I checked it out from the library.
5. Ample sunlight. Joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment