Thursday, June 9, 2011

Lending a hand

Since moving away from St Paul I've realized something: one of my communities was the advocate community. I never really thought about fellow advocates as a community, but people who work at rape crisis centers are unique. And we get each other. Now that I'm up in Northern Minnesota I've decided that I want to be a part of that community again, so I've decided to volunteer for the local sexual assault program: Program to Aid Victims of Sexual Assault or PAVSA for short.

I've mentioned previously that I feel like I'm living in survival mode, and how important it is to have a support network - people who understand who you are or how you feel. I have been working as a crisis counselor with people who have experienced sexual violence for six years now and I feel honored to be able to provide support to people during their times of crisis/survival. I can't wait to jump back into crisis counseling and meet some new friends!  And lend a hand along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment